75% of the coffee beans in the world are Arabica and 25% are robusta.
We would like to explain the types of coffee beans in Colombia and the differences between them.
That is, the comparison of Colombian Arabica coffee beans versus Colombian Robusta coffee beans:
The main differences would be as follows:
- The Colombian Arabica coffee beans are large and the Colombian Robusta coffee beans are small.
- The Arabica coffee beans in Colombia are extended in shape and the Robusta coffee beans in Colombia are round.
- The Arabica coffee beans have curved creases and the Robusta coffee straight creases.
- The Arabica is acidic in taste and the Robusta coffee has bitter taste.
- The taste of the Robusta coffee is not as refined as the Arabica.
- Robusta coffee gives more cream than the Arabica coffee, hence better for the instant coffees.
- Robusta coffee has more caffeine compared to the Arabica coffee: 2.7% caffeine compared to 1.5%.
- The Arabica plant grows between 2.5 to 4.5 m compared to the Robusta plant which can reach a height of 4.5 to 6 m.
- Approximately 70-75% of the worlds coffee production are Arabica coffee beans and the Robusta coffee beans are 25-30%.
- Arabica coffee beans give off more of a sweet smell similar to blueberries before roasting whilst Robusta beans smell more nutty before roasting.
- Robusta coffee beans are grown primarily in the African continent and Indonesia while Arabica coffee beans grow in the African continent, Papua New Guinea and especially in South America.
- Of the two types, Robusta is more common given that it is a cheaper coffee.
- Arabica is higher priced- often double the price of Robusta.
Colombian Coffee is our specialty. We are a Colombian Coffee Company for Roasted Coffee and Specialized Roasters for Wholesale Coffee. Our Company specializes in Private Label Coffee. In case of interest, please download our updated Colombian Coffee Catalogue and do not hesitate to contact us. Please click on the link for more info on Private Label Coffee